Application: Case Conceptualization
When a client comes into your office, this person has certain expectations, some idea of what his or her problem is, and hopes of getting some answers, making changes, and/or obtaining relief. This week, you learned about the importance of developing a case conceptualization to help formulate successful treatment planning.
Developing a case conceptualization includes defining the problem, identifying and evaluating outcome goals, and planning a treatment. This process follows the sequence of scientific thinking: problem definition, hypothesis formulation, hypothesis testing, data collection, results, and recommendations. Keep this sequence in mind as you prepare to complete this week’s Application Assignment.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review Chapters 1, 2, and 3 in Clinical Process: From Conceptualization to Treatment Planning, paying particular attention to the steps necessary for case conceptualization development. Discern the many gender and multicultural considerations outlined in these chapters.
- Think about how the development of a case conceptualization follows the sequence of any good research model.
- Study “The ABC and Person-In-Environment Assessment Model” from Chapter 1 in Clinical Process: From Conceptualization to Treatment Planning, and consider how using such a graph might help you understand your client more fully and, therefore, develop a more useful case conceptualization.
- Review the complex elements involved in developing a treatment plan, keeping in mind the various gender and multicultural factors outlined in Chapter 2 from the course textbook, Clinical Process: From Conceptualization to Treatment Planning.
- Carefully review the Case Conceptualization Exemplar and the Case Study Exemplar: Linda, paying particular attention to Linda’s presenting issues and how they are represented in each section of the Case Conceptualization Exemplar.
- Consider the importance of case conceptualization and think about what each section of the Case Conceptualization Exemplar represents. Think about how empirical research may influence your decision making.
The assignment: (23pages)
- Describe major components necessary to develop an investigation of evidence-based practice and analyze how EBP resembles the scientific method.
- Explain the value and importance of case conceptualization.
- Analyze each section of the Case Conceptualization Exemplar.
- Explain how each section of the Case Conceptualization Exemplar relates to each other.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course. Keep in mind the importance of using empirically supported research to support your points of view.