Correct claims processing is vital to the financial security of a healthcare facility. Errors in processing claims can lead to denial, underpayment, or overpayment of services rendered. All of these can have an immediate or future negative impact on healthcare providers and suppliers. We can see this happening in the example of Mosaic Internal Medicine in this weeks Introduction. There are many rules and regulations that make claims processing complex and susceptible to error.
In this Assignment, you examine a case study involving claims processing for services covered by Medicare. You will propose a plan of action that outlines how claims processing can be improved between Medicare contractors and healthcare organizations to avoid future claim errors.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Read the document, Case 3: Claims Processing, foundin this weeks Learning Resources.
- Consider how data shown on healthcare claims are used when issuing payment for services rendered.
- Imagine you are in the role of executive for Wisconsin Physician Service (WPS) Insurance Corporation.
The Assignment (2- to 3-page paper):
After reading the case study thoroughly from the perspective of the executive, respond to the following:
- Propose a plan of action to the Board of Directors outlining a response to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG).
- Recommend at least one suggestion for how the process between WPS and CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) could be improved.
Provide specific examples in your paper. Support your post with the Learning Resources and at least one outside scholarly source.
By Day 7
Submit your Case Study analysis.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension) as the name.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment link. You will also be able to View Rubric for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension) and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.