Write a 3-4 page paper to analyze the scope of change in medical education from the 1800s to today, the apprenticeship and academic models, and the importance of understanding the history in order to help improve medical education in the future.
Jake is seeking a position in health care recruiting and human capital management. He is examining the many different professional roles that make up the health care workforce in the United States. He finds that clinical and administrative roles are significantly different today than those in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. Physicians, nurses, technologists, and many of the administrative positions today require state licensure, periodic revalidation, certifications, recertification, or registration in order to practice their profession.
Throughout the ages there have been many landmark studies, reports, and events that have changed the course of history in medicine and medical education. The Flexner Report (1910) reformed medical education and brought it to where it is today (Young & Kroth, 2018). This report was the catalyst that pushed for legislation requiring physicians to be licensed. The report called for formalizing medical education and increasing the length of time in structured, formal medical programs. This report has influenced medical education and licensing for all of the many different types of clinical, technical, and administrative health care disciplines of today.
For your assessment, think about the evolution of health care education and its effect on the various clinical and administrative roles. Where does provider credentialing fit into the scheme of things, and why is it so important in health care today? How does today?s fellowship training experience compare with the previous apprenticeship training experience? What are the innovative technological advancements that have elevated the health care professions and the clinics and hospitals that these professionals work in today?
Young, K. M., & Kroth, P. J. (2018). Sultz & Young’s health care USA: Understanding its organization and delivery (9th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Imagine you are a medical apprentice in the 1800s. Envision your medical training during this era under the apprenticeship model. Jump to the 1960s and envision your training under the academic model. Finally, think of what your medical school training might look like today.
Of particular interest for today?s training are the many technology innovations for learning in medical schools, including augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), robotic-assisted surgery, and minimally or noninvasive procedure technologies. Today?s training features remote patient monitoring (RPM) and telemedicine through a virtual model of care (VMC), as well as learning to use the human genome for more accurate diagnosing and patient-specific treatments.
Write a 3?4 page paper to analyze the scope of change in medical education from the 1800s to today, the apprenticeship and academic models, and the importance of understanding the history in order to help improve medical education in the future.
Do the following:
- The textbook is suggested as the most efficient resource for this assessment, or use other resources from those provided with this assessment. You may also use resources you find on your own from the History of Health Care Research tab in the Health Care Administration Undergraduate Library Research Guide to research the history of medical education from the 1800s, 1960s, early 2000s, and today.
- You will need to include four references in your paper, one of which can be your textbook.
- Use the course resources provided for the remaining references, or locate your own resources.
- Write an introduction to your paper using the Changes in Medical Education Template [DOCX].
- Include a brief explanation of the purpose of the paper and its main ideas.
- Refer to the Writing Support page on Campus for resources to help you as you write and revise your paper.
- In The Changing Scope of Medical Education section of the assessment template, a nalyze the scope of the changes in medical education from the 1800s to today.
- How widespread are the newer technologies impacting medical training ?
- Have there been mandated changes or have there been cultural changes that have impacted medical education?
- In the Apprenticeship Model vs. Academic Model section of the assessment template, compare and contrast the apprenticeship and academic models of medical education in the 1800s, 1960s, 2000s, and today.
- Describe the apprenticeship model and the academic model.
- Compare and contrast the similarities and differences in their features.
- Analyze how the models have evolved over time and the impact the evolution of these models has had on the quality of patient care.
- In the Importance of Understanding History of Medicine section of the assessment template, explain the importance of understanding the history of medical education in order to help improve medical education in the future.
- Write a conclusion to your paper in which you summarize the main themes you addressed.
- Cite all the resources you used in your paper in APA format. Refer to Evidence and APA in the Capella Writing Center for help with using APA style.