In light of the economic struggles that many states are facing today, every area of the criminal justice system is coming under scrutiny, especially as it relates to the expenditures of taxpayer monies. One of the most hotly contested areas is that of the privatization of prisons. Respond to the following questions, and support your position using credible research:
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of prison privatization? Explain in your own words.
- What impact does the privatization of prisons have on providing rehabilitative services that would help prisoners rejoin society productively and curb recidivism? Explain.
- What impact does contracting with a private firm have on governmental liability for the violation of inmates’ constitutional rights? Explain.
- Some would argue that for-profit private prisons have no place in a democratic society. Do you agree? Use external research to justify your response.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmates’ posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the postings?
- What clarification do you need regarding the postings?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?