Discussion: Using Improvement Science Models to Promote Quality and Safety
while all changes do not lead to improvement, all improvement requires change.
United States Agency for International Development
Improvement science models bring together research and evidence-based practice to identify the most effective ways to promote quality and safety in health care. As a central tenet of quality improvement, attention must be paid to the processes that contribute to outcomes.
In this Discussion, you examine quality improvement models and evaluate how they could be applied to address specific issues within health care organizations.
- Review the improvement models presented in the Learning Resources.
- Evaluate each of the models and select two on which to focus for this Discussion.
- Consider how each of the two models could be utilized in a health care organization to promote quality and safety. Think about the following:
- How does the model bring together research and evidence-based practice to facilitate quality improvement?
- How does the model contribute to a culture of quality and safety?
- How does it address changes in process?
- Reflect on the quality improvement issue and the health care setting that you are addressing for your Course Project. Of the two models that you have selected, determine which one you, as a nurse leader-manager, would use to address this issue. Also consider how this would relate to one or more of the IOMs six aims for quality and safety.