Numerous controversial treatments are promoted for individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Almost all behavior analysts agree that these treatments lack sufficient empirical support. These treatments include facilitated communication, sensory integration, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, elimination diets, chelation therapy, floortime, and more. Conduct a Web search for information on one of the topics mentioned above. If you would like to choose a topic not listed, first message your professor for approval to be sure it is not evidence based. Also research the treatment in the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis or other professional applied behavior analysis (ABA) journals.
- Identify at least one pro statement that supports the use of the treatment. These may come from “experts,” therapists, parents, or others. Also, identify at least one con statement that opposes or refutes the treatment.
- Summarize these statements and evaluate your findings. Discuss at least three relevant elements of the code that you have learned in this course thus far.
- Explain how to effectively evaluate treatments to determine if they are evidence-based or not.
- In your conclusion, explain how you would discuss the importance of using evidence-based strategies with colleagues and the families with whom you work.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: At least 24 recent scholarly resources.
- Length: 3 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and a references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
- SafeAssign: You are required to use SafeAssign before submitting the completed assignment to your instructor. Submit your work to SafeAssign as a draft, review the results, and make any needed changes. When you are ready, submit your assignment to the assignment area for grading.