This will be done through a PowerPoint presentation and a threaded discussion board. Students should evaluate the assigned reading based on the nine universal intellectual standards as outlined in The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools (Paul & Elder, 2009): clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance, and fairness.
Below is a template for analyzing the reading (Paul & Elder, 2009:11):
Make sure to include the title of the reading and author on the first slide of the presentation which is “If Only He Hadn’t Worn The Hoodie…” Race, Selective Perception, and Stereotype Maintenance By Rashawn Ray, University of Maryland
1) The main purpose of the article/reading is ____________.
2) The key question the author is addressing is ____________.
3) The most important information in this article/reading is ____________.
4) The main inferences/conclusions in this article/reading are ____________.
5) The key concepts we need to understand in this article/reading are ____________.
6) The main assumption(s) underlying the author’s thinking is (are) ____________.
a. If we take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications are ____________.
b. If we fail to take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications are ____________.
7) The main point(s) of view presented in this article is (are) ____________.